Press "Enter" to skip to content

Government of Mexico says positive Covid-19 cases have increased

Mexico City, Mexico — Government authorities have announced a total of 82 confirmed cases of coronavirus around Mexico.

During a press conference, Ricardo Cortés Alcalá, director general de Promoción de Salud reported that there are 82 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the country.

He said that of the confirmed cases, 87 percent are ambulatory, that is, they are in-home isolation cases due to having mild symptoms and that 13 percent are hospitalized cases. He explained that of the hospitalized patients, it is not due to severity, but due to special care since they are part of high risk groups.

On Sunday, there were 314 cases in follow-up, of which 16 have presented symptoms and the remaining 298, so far, are reported without any symptoms. The Ministry of Health reported that the number of positive cases were 60 percent men and 40 percent women, adding that the age ranges from 19 to 73 years of age.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador reaffirmed that the federal government will make decisions regarding the COVID-19 coronavirus in Mexico based on scientific criteria.

“We are going to continue with the criterion of listening to those who know. Do not politicize the issue. Let the technicians, doctors and scientists who guide us and manage, deal with all the politics. Politics is one thing and public health is another” emphasizing that “ it falls into a lot of misinformation.”

The Ministry of Health also released a statement denying the death of a man from coronavirus. In their statement, the Ministry acknowledged that there is a 71-year-old man listed in critical condition, but as of 11:00 p.m. March 15, he was still hospitalized, not deceased as has been reported across social media.

In a statement, they specified that “until 23:00 on March 15, the patient has not died, but is in critical condition,” adding that it is a 71-year-old patient who is receiving medical attention in a private hospital in southern Mexico City.

“We hope that he manages to overcome this circumstance and we reiterate once again our commitment to the citizenry to inform in a timely and truthful manner,” said the agency.

The family of the alleged victim also confirmed the rumor is not true, clarifying that the condition of the Mexican businessman and director of Grupo Financiero Inbursa is “very, very serious.”

The Governor of Quintana Roo has instructed all cabinet dependencies to reinforce the prevention and containment measures of the Covid-19, a contingency that is still maintained in Phase 1 since until now, the only verified case in the state is imported.

“I have asked the Ministry of Health to keep daily transparent, clear, constant and updated information on the progress and measures taken,” said the governor. “In addition, I have requested that thermometers and cameras be installed in all terminals at the airports of Cancun, Cozumel and Chetumal, at the two bridges on the southern border and at the ports of Cozumel and Mahahual.

The only confirmed coronavirus case in Quintana Roo is that of a 71-year-old Italian women who reportedly landed at the Cancun International Airport March 1, leaving her native Italy to take refuge in the city. She arrived from Rome with the virus and is said to be in isolation.

Loading...