Cancun, Q.R. — The director of the Federal Maritime Terrestrial Zone for Benito Juárez has clarified that Cancun beaches are not reopening August 20. He says the news that is being spread throughout social media is false.
Vagner Elbiorn Vega, director of the Zona Federal Marítimo Terrestre (Zofemat) in Benito Juárez stressed that the beaches of Cancun will not open August 20, since it is only a pilot program for the city of Playa del Carmen.
“In Cancun we are going to adhere to the law and the law says that we will open the beaches when the traffic light is yellow. The publication that came out is for an exclusive pilot program in Playa del Carmen from August 20 to 30 to see how people behave and it does not include Cancun,” he explained.
“Their beaches will be opened to see how people behave. It will be a pilot program,” he stressed.
He said “unfortunately in Playa Tortugas, Playa Pez Volador and Playa Langostas, which are concessioned beaches, they have restaurants and people go into the sea which is why this weekend, we had to take action because the beaches are closed, but it was a matter for the police,” he noted.
Elbiorn Vega stressed that Cancun beaches will reopen only for a yellow epidemiological light, adding that the municipal government awaits the instruction of Governor Carlos Joaquín González to proceed with the opening of these spaces.
“There is no call for the reopening of beaches,” he said emphasizing that there is no exact date on the reopening of beaches around the state, not just for Cancun. “It cannot be calculated when the reopening of these public spaces will take place, since it is a health issue that is beyond government control,” he clarified.
The misinformation that continues to spread throughout social media came after the announcement from Playa del Carmen mayor Laura Beristain Navarrete last week. Beristain announced a 10-day pilot project for the city of Playa del Carmen beginning August 20. The project will see only Playa del Carmen beaches temporarily reopened.