Press "Enter" to skip to content

Unattended iron causes fire in Cozumel home

Cozumel, Q.R. — Five women and a minor were overwhelmed with smoke when they entered their home Thursday to remove belongings after a fire started while they were away.

The women and child went inside the house to remove what they could after a fire started from an unattended iron that was left plugged in. The fire occurred in a home in the the San Miguel II neighborhood of the island.

According to reports from Civil Protection and firefighters, the appliance was left plugged in while the members of the home were away. When they arrived, they saw a dense layer of smoke emanating from the door, so they entered to try to rescue some of their belongings.

In doing so, all of them suffered smoke inhalation, so they were treated on-site by paramedics.

Other neighbors in the nearby units were evacuated while firemen put out the fire. There were no other reported injuries. Everyone was able to return to their homes once the fire was out.

Loading...