Press "Enter" to skip to content

Unattended candle consumes inside of house

Playa del Carmen, — An unattended candle is being blamed for a Playa del Carmen house fire that left a home in ruins.

The fire was reported in the Villamar I subdivision, leaving extensive material damage. Reports say the owners of the home had gone to work, leaving the candle lit. While they were away, the candle apparently toppled over, catching a mattress on fire.

The mattress fire quickly spread to other objects in the room, creating a large plume of smoke. Neighbors alerted emergency personnel to the Saturday afternoon mishap. Firemen were quick to arrive, dousing flames.

The home’s owners eventually arrived, verifying the content damage inside, which included the burning of clothes, furniture and appliances.

Loading...