Press "Enter" to skip to content

Uber returning to Cancun after judge rulings

Cancun, Q.R. — Uber says it will be returning to Cancun after a federal judge declares the car service private.

In two recent federal judge rulings, Uber was declared private and not regulated under the concession model the way taxis are regulated. Those recent rulings were handed down in the states of Jalisco and Yucatan earlier this month.

According to Saúl Crespo Laborem, communications manager of Uber Mexico, the car ride company is getting ready to announce its return to Cancun.

Crespo Laborem explained that on December 5, a judge granted a definitive suspension for the platform to be considered private and not regulated under a concession model after the company won part of a claim of an Amparo that challenges the reformed 2016 Yucatan Transport Act to regulate this type of service.

He says “Regarding our operations in Cancun, we’ve confirmed that a federal judge granted final suspension so that the services through the application of Uber are considered private and not regulated under a concession model.

“We are currently evaluating possible scenarios for our return to Cancun with the commitment to restart operations in the best possible way. We reiterate our willingness to collaborate with authorities to continue in the construction of an inclusive and innovative regulation that benefits the majority of the population,” he added.

He also added that “Once again, we thank the great support of civil society and business organizations, which have repeatedly expressed their eagerness for Uber to return to Cancun.”