Cancun, Q.R. — Uber says that they will resume operations in Cancun as of June 6. The company made the announcement after being suspended of services for more than a year.
“Starting Thursday June 6, Uber will restart its operations in Cancun offering more than 500,000 citizens of Cancun a reliable and accessible additional mobility option for their transfers at the touch of a button,” said Saúl Crespo, Communication Manager for Uber México.
“Currently there is a ruling by a federal judge in which he ordered the Mobility Institute to allow Uber Mexico to operate and carry out its commercial activity in the State of Quintana Roo. Derived from the above, the company submitted its application for registration as ERT before the Mobility Institute, which has not been resolved,” added the Uber spokesman.
He said that with their return, the company becomes an ally of Quintana Roo to facilitate additional opportunities for self-employment and entrepreneurship.
“For now, our priority is to provide citizens and tourists with access to the platform and our support partners to comply with the requirements of the regulation to offer five-star travel,” he added.
“Our return is legitimate and responds to the interest of almost the entire population. We reiterate our openness to dialogue with authorities to advance in the necessary procedures, “concluded the director.
After their announcement, Sindicato de Taxistas released a statement saying Uber is only trying to create difficulties. “We are not going to allow the rights of organized workers, their sources of employment and their patrimony to be trampled on, so we will be prepared to take strong actions in favor of the taxi driver family,” they said.
Earlier this week, 12 taxi Cancun drivers were arrested for their alleged involvement in drugs, weapons and extortion.