Cancun, Q.R. — Two women have died and another sent to hospital after a house fire in Cancun claimed their lives.
Police report that the fire broke out at 3:00 a.m. in a private residence in SM 213 of Cancun where the three women were asleep. Neighbors saw flames and alerted authorities. Firefighters from the Cancun department arrived on scene along with police and Civil Protection personnel.
Reports say shouts were heard from inside the home. When firemen entered, they found the three woman. Inside the home were two deceased females, one in her 30s and the other in her 40s. A third woman, 64-year-old María Luisa Loria Mendoza, was removed from the home alive and rushed to hospital. Loria Mendoza is the mother of the two fire victims.
So far, it is believed the fire was started by an overheated extension cord that was being used to connect several devices. One fireman was treated on site for smoke inhalation.