Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — One man has died and two more injured after they were electrocuted while working on a building.
The accident took place at 11:40 a.m. Tuesday when workers were adding a finish to the outside of the Municipal Retention Center at Playa del Carmen. The trio had erected a scaffold and as they each climbed on, their weight caused the structure to collapse.
On its way down, the metal structure made contact with nearby high-voltage electrical wires. One man died at the scene while the other two were rushed to hospital. There is no word on their condition.
Investigators say the scaffold fell from a height of around eight meters. Officers from inside the jail rushed outside to offer first aid the the injured men, however, one had already died. Police, firemen and the Red Cross attended to the accident as did Costamed who performed CPR on the now-deceased, but to no avail.
Witnesses said that the men were adding finishing material to one of the surveillance towers when they assembled a scaffold that was not well restrained. As soon as they began to get on, it collapsed and made contact with the high-voltage CFE cable.