Puerto Morelos, Q.R. — Two people have been hospitalized after receiving burns when a boat they were working on caught fire.
The two workers were seriously burned after an explosion occurred on a boat in which they were working. The boat was on land in the Petempich Bay hotel area when the explosion took place.
Members from the Puerto Morelos fire department and Civil Protection attended the accident at 11:00 a.m. Reports say that they two men were using a vacuum cleaner to remove liquid from the bottom of the boat that turned out to be gasoline.
The electric system from the vacuum ignited the fuel, causing the explosion. Both workers were blown out of the boat, which then caught fire. Both men were transferred to a Cancun hospital.
Witnesses commented that the smoke could be seen from the Federal Puerto Morelos-Cancun highway.