Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A child under the age of two died yesterday in a Playa del Carmen home after choking on food being fed to her by her 10-year-old sister.
The toddler died Thursday evening after suffocating on food when she was fed by her 10-year-old sister who was left in charge since both parents worked. When the girl realized her sister was choking, she attempted to place her on a bed and bang on her chest, however, the toddler died.
She ran to neighbors for help. Emergency 911 services were called around 7:00 p.m. with paramedics arriving only to pronounce the child deceased.
Municipal Police and DIF (the Sistema Nacional para el Desarrollo Integral de la Familia) staff arrived to provide support. Charges are anticipated for the parents who left both children alone without proper supervision.