Cancun, Q.R. — Even with another planeload of passengers lifted from the Cancun International Airport, the state secretary of tourism says there are still approximately 8,000 stranded in Quintana Roo.
Marisol Vanegas Pérez, head of state tourism says there are still around 8,000 stranded tourists in Quintana Roo, mostly in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, who are still waiting to return to their countries. She says she is continually trying to organize flights to see to their return.
“The tourists currently in our territory are 8,000. They are non-residents who are temporarily in our state. There are still departures. Thursday, a flight of 250 people left for Argentina. We work all the time with wholesale airlines, hoteliers so that when an opening occurs it is utilized in the most efficient way.”
On Thursday, a plane of 250 stranded passengers were finally able to depart from the Cancun airport bound for Argentina. Many of those passengers had been stuck in the region since mid-March when flight and border restrictions were placed while they were on vacation.
Vanegas Pérez says they continue to work with embassies, consulates and airlines “so that tourists can return to their places of origin.”