Last updated on September 16, 2019
Cancun, Q.R. — The current government of Quintana Roo says they are willing to contribute to the proposed Cancun-Tulum train, which they say, they have been working on for more than a year-and-a-half.
The government of Quintana Roo said it was willing to contribute to the administration of president-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador for the design, construction, equipment, operation and maintenance of the Cancun-Tulum train.
The preliminary cost of the project, they report, will be approximately 40 billion peso and will be promoted by the state government through the Agency for Strategic Projects (Agepro). They say they are hoping the project will be financed through the Public-Private Partnership (APP) scheme.
The director of Agepro, Eduardo Ortiz Jasso, explained that in January they signed an agreement with Banobras, the company that manages the investment platform Proyectos México. The agreement was to promote projects at national and international level under the APP scheme.
Last month, he explained, the board of Banobras authorized the publication of the tender of that and another project, the Nichupté Bridge, in search of financiers to invest with the state government.
“We are, of course, willing to contribute and we believe it would be an advancement that would benefit all parties,” said Ortiz Jasso.
The plan consists of two stages, he said, the first from Cancun to Playa del Carmen and the second from Playa del Carmen to Tulum. The end goal will be to contribute to the regional development of the north, improving urban and tourist mobility.
The route consists of a tourist corridor of at least 126 kilometers with stations in the main population centers including the Cancun International Airport.
The project, still without bidding, is in the phase of studies and pre-investment, as well as in the processing of permits with the corresponding federal agencies and is not counting on the allocation of federal resources, in accordance with the Proyectos México platform.
The main source of payment for the project will be the concessionaire’s income for the provision of the passenger rail transport service. The validity of the concession will be 20 years.
The Cancun to Palenque bullet train was announced earlier in July and is anticipated to cost 100 billion peso. Those involved in the project are hoping to get started sometime in 2019.