Press "Enter" to skip to content

SSP releases photos of pair believed responsible for Cancun bar shootings

Cancun, Q.R. — The Secretariat of Public Security (SSP) of Quintana Roo has released photos of the two men believed responsible for the recent wave of violence in Cancun including the recent bar shootings.

On Tuesday, the SSP reported that Héctor Elías and Francisco Alberto are allegedly linked to criminal groups believed responsible for the ongoing wave of violence that has included shootings and setting fire to Cancun establishments.

The agency says the criminal groups are in a territorial dispute and are fighting over city blocks to carry out and control their criminal activities.

During the announcement of the recent arrests, they posted “the SSP QROO reports on the unfortunate attacks that have occurred in recent months against bars located in the northern part of the municipality of Benito Juárez, have been derived from threats against people who allegedly provide their services to a criminal group in the area.”

The SSP went on to detail several Cancun establishments that have been targeted by either gunfire or fire by these groups. In the last week alone, three bars along the city’s popular Kabah Avenue were hit.

Last week, La Palapita had part of its restaurant set on fire, while the bars Deja Vu and Las de la Kabah were fired upon, killing two and injuring several including staff and customers.

The SSP says numerous arrests have been made to dismantle criminal groups in Cancun

The agency also noted the progress made in dismantling these groups, which they say, are known linked to homicides, extortion, threats and abductions, while acknowledging the citizen risks these groups pose.