Press "Enter" to skip to content

Short circuit on Fifth Avenue causes temporary closure

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A section of Playa del Carmen’s popular Fifth Avenue was closed by state police Wednesday after smoke was seen rising from an underground passage.

State police along with Protección Civil, firemen and personnel from CFE were called to the scene after smoke was seen coming out of a metal CFE lid along the roadway. The smoke was quickly linked to an underground short circuit caused by an overheated transformer.

Passersby were alarmed by the generation of the smoke, which led authorities to close the section of roadway between 4th Street and Juarez Avenue.

Carlos Velazquez of Solidaridad Protección Civil explained “911 reported to us smoke coming out of a register of the Comisión Federal de Electricidad. We, and people from the fire department, came to give prompt attention to this report.

“We saw smoke coming out of the sewer which affected several locations on the street of Fifth Avenue, so we decided to cordon off the area for the safety of the people.”

The Comisión Federal de Electricidad arrived to make repairs and determine the exact cause of the short.

Loading...