Press "Enter" to skip to content

Sanitary tunnel installed as island mayor declares 7 days without increase in cases or deaths

Cozumel, Q.R. — The Integral Port Administration of Quintana Roo (Apiqroo) has installed a sanitizing tunnel at the San Miguel dock as part of increased sanitary measures to protect those coming and going from the island.

The tunnel, which was installed under the direction of Apiqroo head Alicia Ricalde Magaña Monday, will add a layer of sanitizing protection to island residents and visitors from the current coronavirus epidemic.

The sanitizing products, which have been approved by the Ministry of Agriculture, are said to be safe, however, there has been some controversy regarding the safety and effectiveness of the tunnels.

The newly installed sanitary tunnel at San Miguel takes six seconds to disinfect passengers

In April, the Federal Ministry of Health said “the use of sanitation tunnels and arches is not recommended. There is no evidence on the efficacy of these systems to carry out an effective disinfection of the SARS-CoV-2. The concentration of the disinfectant could be insufficient to inactivate the virus, and the aerosol generated can facilitate the spread of the virus that could be present in the clothing, hair or belongings of the person who passes through the tunnel, increasing the risk of spreading the virus.”

The tunnel, which requires approximately six seconds to “disinfect”, was put into place during the same week the island began to flatten its virus curve. As of today, island mayor Pedro Joaquín Delbouis says Cozumel is on day seven without any increases in positive cases or deaths.

Last month, a sanitary tunnel was also installed for passenger use at the main ferry terminal of Isla Mujeres.

Loading...