Press "Enter" to skip to content

Riviera Maya beaches within international quality standards despite sargassum

Riviera Maya, Q.R. — “With the sum of efforts, together we move forward in the massive fight against sargassum. We have advances in the cleaning of beaches. In areas where the barriers have been installed, there is a 70 percent containment of the seaweed. The remaining 30 percent is cleaned with volunteer support,” says Governor Carlos Joaquín.

To recover the splendor of the beaches, a source of pride for Quintana Roo, so far this year, there have been more than 40 days of beach cleaning with the participation of almost 8,000 volunteers. Among them, government employees and citizens who have gathered 38,892 tons of sargassum on the beaches and 218.8 tons of seaweed in the sea.

Governor Carlos Joaquín said that “protecting the natural beauties of Quintana Roo is a priority, so we have joined forces to combat the massive arrival of the algae. In addition, there is no sargassum every day or on every beach.”

As part of the short-term actions in the cleaning of beaches, there is the support of trained personnel, installation of containment or diversion barriers, twill vessels, beach sweepers, conveyor belts, dump trucks, rakes and rods.

Photo: CGC Quintana Roo

The fight against the arrival of sargassum has also been joined by academic institutions including the National Autonomous University of Mexico, the Autonomous University of Baja California, the University of Quintana Roo and the Center for Research in Applied Chemistry, among others.

The Secretariat of the Navy also participates in cleaning actions, which is the building of sargaceras vessels.

Photo: CGC Quintana Roo

The government of Quintana Roo also says that according to water analysis quality in Puerto Morelos, Solidaridad (Playa del Carmen) and Tulum, the results show that all parameters are within national and international standards, and are without sanitary or environmental risks.

Loading...