Press "Enter" to skip to content

Restaurant roof in Playa del Carmen catches fire

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — Police and firefighters in Playa del Carmen were on scene Wednesday for a fire that destroyed a popular bar.

Firefighters were called to the neighborhood of Ejidal on Constituyentes Avenue Wednesday morning when Emergency 911 relayed the message that an establishment was on fire.

The call came through at 11:30 a.m. when employees inside the restaurant-bar noticed the palapa of La Montaña was on fire and spreading quickly. People inside were evicted as flames took mere seconds to consume the bar’s roof.

Civil Protection personnel and Playa del Carmen firefighters arrived to extinguish the rooftop. Although they did managed to douse the flames, the establishment suffered extensive losses. According to preliminary information, the fire is believed to have started from an electrical short.

There were no reports of injuries.