Press "Enter" to skip to content

Public works completes only 40 percent of projects

Cancun, Q.R. – There are only a few months left until the end of the year, yet only 40 percent of the state’s construction projects have been assigned.

The Mexican Chamber Construction Industry (CMIC) says that committed public investments from funding set aside by both the federal and state governments have not been released as set out in the 2015 budget.

Villanueva Raul Arguelles, CMIC president, said he has asked authorities to release more public work, although the big picture is turning out to be at least 30 percent less than the budgeted investment. According to reports, the budget set aside for public works projects for the 2015 fiscal year was around five billion peso.

Raul Arguelles say the lack of work “Is having a very big impact because it hurts not having the jobs.” He explained that out of the 300 registered workers with the Mexican Chamber of Construction Industry, only 60 percent are currently employed. He says the remaining 40 percent are looking for other ways to survive.

Since late last year, the construction sector has sought the support of the Association of Hotels with the intention to enter the private workforce.

“We are talking about millions of dollars. In short hand, we are talking about 60 million dollars spent each year and we want to compete for access to these jobs,” said Villanueva Argüelles.

He adds that to make matters worse, many construction materials have recently gone up in price. He says that concrete, for example, now costs 5 percent more.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.