Public transportation units in Cancun penalized for overchargingCancun Mexico 

Public transportation units penalized for overcharging

Cancun, Q.R. – Seven public transportation units in Cancun have been penalized for overcharging passengers.

With the recent announcement of a possible tariff increase, some public transport drivers are already implementing the proposed 2 peso increase even though an increase was not authorized.

The Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport through the Directorate of Communications and Transport found seven public transport units in Cancun in violation for charging 10 pesos for an 8 peso route.

Drivers of the units were reported to Sintra for overcharging. Jorge Portilla, Sintra Secretary, says that those who are reported with evidence of overcharging are subject to penalties. Portilla stresses that they have carried out supervision operations in various areas of the city to ensure units are not charging a higher rate than authorized.

“We are carrying out operations at different times and the drivers that we detect making this improper recovery are sanctioned and their units are towed,” he said.

The possibility of a tariff increase for Benito Juarez is still being evaluated by the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transportation. Portilla notes that under this new administration, “We do not endorse the increase in ground transportation in the municipality of Benito Juárez to increase its rates two pesos more than what was charged before.”

The secretary said that for the moment no further increase will be authorized.

A public transportation increase of two pesos was approved by the previous government but not implemented. Drivers are proposing the previously approved increase be allowed, increasing the basic rate to 10 pesos.

Public transportation passengers who are overcharged are encouraged to file a complaint by contacting Sintra: http://qroo.gob.mx/sintra or 1 800 841 4955 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, he said.

Latest News