Press "Enter" to skip to content

Playa del Carmen workers electrocuted hanging billboard sign

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — Two men hanging a large canvas billboard in Playa del Carmen were electrocuted after accidentally making contact with overhead electricity lines.

The two men were in the process of placing the large canvas advertisement to the metal billboard frame with one of the men climbing the structure when the accident happened.

Paramedics were called to their location along Playa del Carmen Boulevard where both men suffered a severe electrical shock. One of the workers, the man who climbed the structure, accidentally made contact when a metal ring on the canvas touched an overhead cable.

Photo: Protecci├│n Civil Solidaridad

The second worker happened to be touching the metal billboard frame when the electrical contact was made. Both men suffered electrocution, however, the man on the structure at the time is reported to be in serious condition.

The current was strong enough to leave burn marks at the base of the structure.