Last updated on December 10, 2020
Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A large palapa covering a central Playa del Carmen restaurant was consumed by fire early Sunday morning.
The fire was reported around 5:40 a.m. to emergency services who sent firemen to Avenida Constituyentes and Avenida 45 where the grass roof of a seafood restaurant was in flames.
Firemen were able to extinguish the fire before it completely engulfed the roof, however, a majority of the palapa was destroyed. Nearby buildings were not damaged. Firemen said an electrical short circuit was to blame. There were no human injuries reported in the accident.
The fire department were back on site later that morning to ensure flames were out.
It’s the second palapa fire this weekend, with the first being that of a bus shelter that caught fire next to a gas station.