Press "Enter" to skip to content

Palapa recreation center rooftop goes up in flames

Kantunilkín, Q.R. — A recreation center with a grass palapa rooftop was reduced to ashes after it went up in flames Saturday night.

The fire happened in the town of Kantunilkín, west of Cancun. Even with firemen on scene, flames quickly grew into a roaring fire that consumed the entire structure. Initially it was believed the fire started with the careless use of fireworks, however, the official cause was said to be a short circuit.

Operational director of Public Safety Eleazar Noh Cen said that Civil Protection, firefighters and public safety personnel participated in battling the palapa flames, but very little could be done due to the dryness of the grass.

Loading...