Last updated on March 21, 2020
Chetumal, Q. R. — The Ministry of Tourism has reported that the four people who have contracted the coronavirus in the state of Quintana Roo are residents of Mexico who traveled abroad and were infected by a third party.
La Secretaría de Turismo has confirmed that the infections were contracted outside of the country with the state governor adding that there are now 54 suspected cases in Quintana Roo. The governor says that public activities are still being carried out, but with strict prevention recommendations.
The head of the State Health, Alejandra Aguirre Crespo, announced that as of 9:00 p.m. March 17, in Quintana Roo there were 54 suspected cases. He explained that laboratory tests yielded 38 negatives and 12 under study with the same four positives.
Aguirre Crespo says that the current coronavirus has a much lower mortality rate than previous pandemics such as SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome), and that so far, Quintana Roo continues to be in Phase I, which is viral import, adding that of the four confirmed cases, three remain in isolation and one in hospital.