Last updated on February 26, 2018
Mexico City, Mexico — A lengthy phone conversation between Mexico’s Enrique Peña Nieto the the US president, Donald Trump, ended with Mexico canceling a planned White House visit.
According to a report by the Washington Post, the two presidents had a 50-minute phone conversation that included the border wall, which ended after Trump refused to publicly state that Mexico will not finance it.
The February 20 meeting saw the cancellation of the March White House visit the Mexican president had been contemplating. The Washington Post report said according to one Mexican official Trump “lost his temper.”
But U.S. officials instead described Trump as frustrated and exasperated, saying he believed it was unreasonable for Peña Nieto to expect him to back off his campaign promise to force Mexico to pay for the wall.
”The fact is, we are both in a little bit of a political bind because I have to have Mexico pay for the wall,” Trump told Peña Nieto in a January 2017 phone conversation.
“I have to. I have been talking about it for a two-year period. . . . If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that.”
The two presidents had made plans to speak by phone for the February 20 conversation. Assuming the call went well, a White House trip would have been finalized for the Mexican president, however, according to both sides of governments, the call did not go well.