Movie matinee interrupted by Centro Maya Cinemax fireMexico Playa del Carmen 

Movie matinee interrupted by Centro Maya Cinemex fire

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. – A fire in the Centro Maya Cinemex yesterday morning saw dozens of people evacuated in the middle of a Sunday matinee.

Emergency 066 received a call of a fire inside the Cinemex at Centro Maya. The emergency call was placed around 10:30 a.m. which sent eight fire crews in three units to the plaza in the city’s south end.

According to reports, the fire was started by a short circuit in a popcorn machine. The short sparked and ignited nearby material that generated flames, causing the theater and nearby mall facilities to fill with smoke. Civil Protection director, Lucio Salvador Arguea, said this was the second time the theater has experienced irregularities and thus, will be suspended from business until a complete inspection has been performed.

“We will keep the facilities closed with a suspension until a full inspection by elements of Civil Protection is done on Monday. We need to learn why this happened again and what the risks are in their electrical installations and equipment. We need to inspect to see if it was an electrical overload or lack of maintenance of the popcorn machine,” he explained.

It was about one year ago when the same Centro Maya Cinemex experienced a similar electrical fire.

Latest News