Press "Enter" to skip to content

Ministry says protesting Cancun taxi drivers will be sanctioned

Cancun, Q.R. — The Ministry of Infrastructure and Transportation says that taxi drivers who participated in the protests last month that saw Cancun and Riviera Maya highways blocked, will be sanctioned.

The Ministry of Infrastructure and Transportation says they are in the process of reviewing more than 5,000 taxi driver files who took part in highway road closures in protest of the new mobility law. They say they are reviewing each file to weed out those who are without permits and expired concessions.

William Conrado Alarcón, head of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra), says they are close to closing their reviews.

“We have photographs, evidence. You have to refine the list because you have to confirm that the vehicles have been there, obstructing the movement of traffic in the demonstrations,” he said.

He explained that even if their permits are up to date, the concessions can still be revoked because the vehicles are for a public service and not to be used for that purpose.

Conrado Alarcón ruled out that other manifestations of this type could occur again. “The problems are often not with the managers, but with problematic people who are part of the unions,” he said.

Regarding the new mobility law, he said they have already started the planning of the Institute of Mobility, which will be responsible for ensuring transport in the state.

“The profile of the director of the institute and other officials have already been created, but we are still evaluating if the institute will be autonomous or depend on some other dependency,” he said.

The Congress of Quintana Roo approved the Mobility Law May 28, 2018. Once published in the Official Gazette, it will allow digital platforms such as Uber to begin offering services 90 days after the publication.