Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mexican authorities investigate Canadian’s allegations of taxi abuse, no help

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — The delegation of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Sintra) in Playa del Carmen has begun an investigation into the allegations by a Canadian man who says he was attacked by a taxi driver and accomplice.

The alleged attack on Jason Enwere has been posted across social media by his mother, Dorothy Ijeoma Eze. Jesus Duarte Yam, delegate of the state says he has made a request to the ministerial authorities for information, including the filing of an official complaint on the Canadian’s allegations.

Jesus Duarte Yam said Sintra will be working to find out which unit could have possibly been involved in or used for the crime.

“We do not have the complaint. In fact we have already requested the information to see who the taxi drivers were that night. We are at the beginning of the investigation to resolve this. It is up to the Office of the Prosecutor to determine this since it is not the responsibility of Sintra, but we will help the authorities by providing the information we can,” said Duarte Yam.

Enwere said he was attacked by a taxi driver and another man inside the cab during the early morning hours of February 19 when he was trying to return to his room at Bahia Principe Sian Ka’an hotel.

Jesús Pastor Martín Medina, general secretary of the Lázaro Cárdenas del Río syndicate in Playa del Carmen explained that it is rare for a tourist to be charged a fee of 200 peso since the minimum rate from Playa del Carmen to that hotel is 500 peso, so it could be a unit of some municipality in the south of the state.

“It could be that he caught a taxi in Playa del Carmen that was from the south. I do not say it is specifically from Tulum, but from somewhere else, because many who return south after a fare to the area take advantage by charging those prices.

“We are against any violence like this happening,” he said.

There is no confirmation that an official complaint was filed by Enwere regarding what he alleged occurred. The family has since returned to Canada where his mother has posted the experience across social media, and her son has even given an interview to City TV.

According to a report by media outlet Sipse, Enwere told Canadian journalists, “The authorities did nothing to help. Back in the hotel the management did not do anything either and the consulate said that this was out of their control.”

The social media post has attracted more than 70,000 reactions and 26,000 comments with the hashtag #MexicoNeverAgain. The interview by City TV posted on Enwere’s Instagram account has been cut to the opening 60 seconds.