Last updated on January 5, 2021
Cozumel, Q.R. — The mayor of Cozumel says that due to the application of sanitary protocols, visitors can once again enjoy the island’s dive sites. Cozumel mayor Pedro Joaquín Delbouis made the announcement over the weekend after a tour to confirm sanitary health measures.
The tours were made by the Director of Tourism and Economic Development, Pedro Hermosillo López, as well as they mayor who confirmed compliance and announced that island visitors are again, welcome to enjoy Cozumel’s more than 30 dive sites.
“Cozumel is the underwater treasure of the Mexican Caribbean. It is part of the second largest coral reef in the world, the Mesoamerican Reef. More than 100 diving centers operate on the island, who, during the orange stage, are allowed to work at 30 percent of their capacity, always putting health first,” he said during his tour of the Marina Fonatur.
He added that only by complying with the sanitary and restricted capacity measures will it be possible to continue with the gradual reopening of activities.
Reyes Joaquín Canché Chan, General Coordinator of Operations of the Administración Portuaria Integral de Quintana Roo (Apiqroo) of Cozumel reported that of the 180 vessels registered in Marina Fonatur, between 40 and 60 are in operation, depending of the number of scheduled tours.
He said that so far, as marked by state and municipal authorities as well as the Port Captaincy, in this orange phase, each boat works at a 30 percent capacity in addition to having to have their maritime certification.