Cancun, Q.R. — The State Attorney General’s Office has made a public statement announcing the arrest of a man in the shooting death of two people in Cancun last week.
Miguel Ángel Pech Cen, the attorney general for the state, says formal charges have been laid against Alfredo N, who was arrested at 3:30 Saturday afternoon on Avenida Chac Mool and José López Portillo in Cancun for the deaths of two, one being a local cameraman, Javier Rodríguez Valladares.
The death of the cameraman sparked outrage with local journalists who felt his death was targeted due to his profession even though the attorney general ruled out the possibility pointing out that Rodríguez Valladares was not wearing company clothing that would have identified him at the time of the shooting.
Three days after the shooting, Alfredo N, a local business owner, was arrested for the murders. However, his wife has posted surveillance video of their business that shows her husband inside the shop, Mr. Bean, at the time of the shootings.
The Office of the Prosecutor has yet to acknowledge the video she posted across social networks showing him inside the business. However, Pech Cen says Alfredo N was detained as a result of research work from several testimonies and evidence analysis.Announcement of the arrest of Alfredo N by Miguel Ángel Pech Cen
“The detainee, whom we are going to identify Alfredo (N), is responsible for the double homicide,” he said while being accompanied by the head of the Ministerial Police, General David Enrique Velarde Sigüenza.
Dalila, the wife of Alfredo N., is demanding that her husband be released saying there is no evidence that he is responsible for shooting two people. Dalia posted the video across social media that shows her husband was inside his business at the time of the shooting.
He is the owner of Mr. Bean, located on Palenque Avenue, which is around the corner from where the shootings took place.
“With the video I show that my husband is innocent. And all of us who were here know and support him and we will be with him at all times to prove it,” she said in a radio interview with QFM.
She says that the video she posted on social networks is already part of the evidence presented for the defense of her husband. The video shows Mr. Bean’s staff, including her husband, inside the premises doing their work or resting outside the front door area.
Suddenly, they all flee toward the outside of the shop when they heard the gunfire.
One person is said to have seen the merchant with the gun in his hand, which has resulted in his arrest. However, there are multiple witnesses who saw Alfredo N in the store at the time of the shooting.
“I would like to tell the prosecutor that he unfairly judges a person because he does not have any proof with which to support my husband’s guilt. He cannot take a statement from a person X and support his investigation with that,” said Dalia.
She explained that her husband is a member of the Municipal Police of Cancun and is assigned to the care of a person. For that reason, he must act as an escort for the person in his care, which requires him to carry a gun 24-hours per day. The video shows Alfredo N with the handgun.
Miguel Ángel Pech Cen has been under heavy criticism in recent months for the continuing increase in crime figures and lack of arrests. There have even been several public requests for his resignation, however Miguel Ángel Pech Cen says he has no plans to resign.
Alfredo N remains in preventative custody in Cancun. His next court appearance is set for September 6.