Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man accused of Cancun double homicide released from prison

Cancun, Q.R. — A man accused of double homicide in Cancun has been released and partially dismissed of the charges.

On Thursday, the defendant Alfredo Silva known as Alfredo N, was released from prison and partially dismissed of the charges after a 5-hour hearing.

Attorney Dulce Monserrat Sánchez Huerta explained that the court saw videos, listened to testimonies and observed conclusive documentary evidence that the “alleged perpetrator” is innocent.

Litigant Griselda García Ortega explained the public prosecutor requested partial dismissal for her client “For not having enough data, so they proceeded with the request for dismissal,” she said adding that the investigation is still open and the judge has the final say.

“We requested immediate freedom, but will have to continue with the administrative process,” she explained.

After five hours of debate before a judge, the public prosecutors dismissed the criminal charges against Alfredo Silva after hearing additional evidence provided by the defense that was presented at the hearing.

Alfredo Silva left the Cancun prison shortly after 11:00 p.m., just three hours after his trial concluded. Outside, he thanked everyone for their support and expressed his deepest condolences to the relatives of the two people who died August 29.

Alfredo Silva was arrested September 1 for the murder of two people shot in Cancun August 29. In a press conference, the general prosecutor of the state, Miguel Ángel Pech Cen, said Alfredo N had been arrested as a result of research work from several testimonies and evidence analysis.

The arrest was based off the testimony of one witness, who was reportedly a Cancun reporter who claimed he saw Alfredo with a gun, however surveillance video showed Alfredo Silva in his business at the time of the shooting.

Over the past several months, the public has requested the resignation of Miguel Ángel Pech Cen for poor performance, however in August, Pech Cen announced he has no intentions on resigning.