Press "Enter" to skip to content

Local chili producers hoping to drastically increase harvest

Cancun, Q.R. – Jalapeno chili producers in the southern portion of the state are setting out to improve production of the spicy pepper for the upcoming harvest.

For the 2016 season, chili producers are hoping to significantly raise production above the average 4,000 tons they currently grow.

Reinaldo Guzmán Juárez, chili producer from Caobas, explained that this year their goal is to regain an award-winning crop. Producers from the region are hoping to implement a project with support from the local government that includes technology that will help them with the development of the plants. Their biggest challenge is irrigation since there is currently no watering system in the region. Although the plants are considered drought-resistant, they still require some level of humidity.

Juárez said that during the 2015 season they managed to harvest about 4,000 tons of the spicy pepper and that approximately 60 percent was marketed to companies in the north and center of the country, while the remaining 40 percent was sold in local markets, particularly in the northern part of the state.

He acknowledges that the current market volume is very low when compared to previous years, which is why they are in need of government support. He said that three decades ago, an annual crop consisted of more than 30,000 tons of the hot pepper.

Comments are closed.