Press "Enter" to skip to content

Kitchen incident causes small fire on Mahahual restaurant palapa

Mahahual, Q.R. — A kitchen fire has been the said cause of an incident that caught a Mahahual restaurant palapa on fire. Staff were able to put it out with help from nearby business neighbors.

The Saturday afternoon fire started in the back of Los Arrecifes restaurant in a palapa area that covers the kitchen. The dry grass rooftop quickly began to smolder and burn its way across the wooden supports.

An area of several meters was burned before the fire was put out.

Staff and nearby neighbors helped to run buckets of water from a large puddle to the roof. With the help of several people, they were able to extinguish the smoldering grass fire before it spread much beyond a few meters.

Residents called the Fire Department, but by the time they arrived, the incident had already been dealt with. There were no injuries reported, only a several meter area of burned rooftop.