Press "Enter" to skip to content

Judge grants temporary suspension on Gran Solaris hotel project in Cancun

Cancun, Q.R. — A temporary suspension has been granted by the superior court of justice in Cancun regarding the construction of the Gran Solaris hotel.

The Constitutional Chamber of the Superior Court of Justice has granted an Amparo to the Asociación Salvemos Manglar Tajamar in the case of the Gran Solaris hotel project that was to be built at Playa Delfines in the Cancun Hotel Zone.

Through a statement, the association explained that they promoted a contentious administrative trial against several authorities, one of which was the Benito Juárez City Council and its different addresses that granted permits to the hotel.

The company Villas Solaris S of RL de CV obtained the municipal permits for the construction as well as the authorization for the project from the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat) for a complex next to Playa Delfines.

Felipe Villanueva, director of Municipal Ecology explained that the company does not have a clearing permit and have argued that they not to need the permit, however he says the permit is an indispensable requirement.

According to the Environmental Impact Statement (MIA), the completed hotel would have consisted of 449 rooms with an investment of $90 million USD, however, councilors say that the unification of the land is not valid since it was registered on land that does not exist. There is also the controversy that the project was initially approved for 180 rooms, not 449.

The Benito Juárez City Council continues to extend the case of Gran Solaris. Guillermo Brahams González, secretary General of Benito Juárez Town Hall said “The process to follow is for the liquidator to determine what will happen, although they will have to go to Cabildo and find out if there would be a revocation of the construction license issued by the City Council.”

The Ecology Department has determined that the hotel does not have permits for construction. The current suspension of the project is temporary and is expected to be brought before courts again in a few weeks.