Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A garbage burn that quickly went out of control in a Playa del Carmen neighborhood ended with the destruction of a small business.
The intentionally set garbage burn happened in the northwest Cristo Rey neighborhood. Area residents who set the garbage ablaze around 1:30 p.m. Sunday said they did not notice sparks flying and settling on a nearby pile of sawdust that belonged to the next-door carpentry shop.
The dry pile of sawdust also caught fire and burst into flames. Although residents attempted to put the fire out with buckets of water, the small business was destroyed.
Firefighters arrived and were able to prevent flames from spreading to other nearby homes. There were no injuries reported. The amount in material damages was also not revealed.