Last updated on October 24, 2017
Cancun, Q.R. – Tourists at the Iberostar Playacar hotel were evacuated on Saturday when a fire consumed several public areas on the property.
The Department of Civil Protection of Solidaridad was alerted to a fire on Saturday at about noon when two palapas were seen burning.
Fire crews were on the scene in less than 10 minutes, however, hotel staff had already began evacuating the 1,600 guests staying at the hotel. While hotel guests began pouring out onto the beach and sidewalks, nearby Rui Yucatan and Sandos hotels opened their doors, acting as a hosting center for Iberostar guests.
The fire quickly spread to other nearby palapa areas, shooting flames up to 15 meters high. Additional fire units from surrounding areas also made their way to the scene as did several ambulances that treated approximately 20 people for smoke inhalation. Director of Civil Protection, Jesus Puc Pat, said that at no time were the lives of hotel staff or guests in danger.
Authorities said fire crews worked on extinguishing the fire for about 15 hours to ensure there was no chance of the fire rekindling. The fire consumed a large portion of the hotel including the reception area, the spa and several hotel restaurants.
It’s presumed that the cause of the fire was due to an electrical fault, however, an official report is underway.