Tulum, Q.R. — The palapa roof of a Tulum hotel caught fire, requiring guests and staff to be evacuated.
The fire occurred Friday morning at the Luna Maya Hotel in Tulum. Emergency 911 received the call at 10:15 a.m. that the structure had caught fire. Tulum fire fighters were quick to the scene and able to put out the flames without incident.
Only one person required medical attention for smoke inhalation. He was treated on-site.
According to reports at 10:15 Friday morning, emergency 911 was informed of a fire at the Luna Maya hotel located on Avenida Satélite Norte in centro Tulum. Firemen reported that the fire started due to the overheating of the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) power lines that brushed up against the grass palapa roof.
Electricity in the area was affected for a few hours until CFE workers were able to restore electricity.
In January of this year, a Cancun hotel caught fire after children launching fireworks landed one on dry greenery of Hotel Xbalamqué. The fireworks resulted in fire burning part of the hotel, however, the hotel’s palapa was sprayed with fire retardant, which helped keep damage to a minimum.