Cancun, Q.R. — A small group of protesters marched peacefully Sunday in objection to the continued construction of the Riu Riviera Cancun hotel. The group were demanding that the municipal government update the construction license as infrastructure for more hotels in the Cancun Hotel Zone does not exist.
Heading the protest was lawyer Gerardo Solís, who with banner in hand, asked the head of the Ministry of Environment to not to allow the construction of the hotel complex after a court overturned its definitive suspension.
In October of last year, a judge ordered the definitive suspension of the hotel, which is being built at kilometer 21.5 of the Cancun Hotel Zone. However a judge from the Third Collegiate Court overturned that suspension July 27, allowing the hotel to continue with its construction.
Solis said that they have not been able to access the public records that would detail the judge’s decision in allowing the hotel to continue building. Last year, a judge ordered the suspension of the hotel due to a lack of waste water infrastructure in Punta Nizuc.
Solis said he will continue to fight to have construction stopped.