Press "Enter" to skip to content

Governor details developments essential for tourism advancement

Riviera Maya, Q.R. — Carlos Joaquin says that the more than 8,500 hotel rooms being built along with a large number of roads and highways, are essential for the tourism sector to advance.

During the XI Congreso Mexicano del Asfalto Convention, the state governor also noted that the reopening of congress and conventions adds to strengthening the economic reactivation. During his speech, Joaquín recognized the state’s ongoing economic recovery due to the Covid -19 pandemic.

“At this time in the state, a little more than 8,500 hotel rooms are being built as well as a large number of roads, fundamental roads so that the tourism sector can advance and be an important part of this development,” he said.

Carlos Joaquín stressed that Quintana Roo thrives on the tourism sector and recalled that 18 months ago, 97 percent of the tourism industry closed its doors leaving the state with only a 3 percent hotel occupancy rate.

“It has never happened that our more than 115,000 hotel rooms throughout the state were unoccupied, that our three airports lost more than 17 million airplane seats,” he recalled.

Joaquin highlighted that since June of 2020, tourism was declared an “essential activity” along with the construction industry, which allowed workers to continue working, generating employment and adding to the state’s economic recovery.

Loading...