Press "Enter" to skip to content

German tourist electrocuted at Tulum hostel

Tulum, Q.R. – A young German tourist died at a hostel in Tulum after making contact with high voltage cables on the roof of the hotel.

The accident occurred during the early hours of March 17 when one of the guests, 18-year-old D. Gohlke, climbed to the roof to hide his luggage.

According to Samuel Flores Baggen, another hostel guest, he and Mr. Gohlke wanted to visit the area of Bacalar the next day but had nowhere to store their belongings. Mr. Gohlke, who had been a guest of the One More Night in Tulum hostel since that Monday, decided to store the items on the roof.

Once on the roof, his left arm made contact with one of the high voltage cables that provided an electric shock strong enough to throw him through the air where he fell off the roof and onto the pavement below.

The hostel has since been shut down by Municipal Civil Protection until the owners resolve all the electric wiring problems.


Comments are closed.