Press "Enter" to skip to content

Forensic reports conclude American family died from gas poisoning

Akumal, Q.R. — UPDATED: A forensic report has concluded that an American family found deceased in their rented condominium in the seaside town of Akumal died from toxic gas poisoning likely from the condo’s water heater.

The Attorney General’s Office says autopsy reports show all four family members died from suffocation by asphyxiation of toxic gas, ruling out both the possibility of a violent event and the possibility of suicide.

According to the Associated Press, an updated report by Miguel Angel Pech of the General Attorney’s Office says the family likely died from gas leaking from the water heater.

The water heater “was leaking gas, maybe from use or lack of maintenance,” Pech said, according to the Associated Press.

In a statement, the Directorate of Civil Protection of the City of Tulum, accompanied by firefighters and experts from the Directorate of Forensic Services, completed a physical inspection of the gas installation throughout the condominium.

An official report on their findings is expected to be released within the next 10 days.

Mexican authorities have coordinated with U.S. officials in Mexico to bring the bodies home, said Jana Weland, Amy Sharp’s cousin.

“It’s been very stressful but the consulate’s been good about helping us,” Weland told the Des Moines Register. “Even the funeral home in Mexico has been good at helping.”

The family, who were vacationing in the municipality of Tulum, had rented a condominium in the town of Akumal March 14 to 21. When they failed to return to the US as scheduled on March 21, family members became concerned.

The four members of the Sharp family were discovered deceased inside their condominium Friday afternoon.