Last updated on September 16, 2019
Cancun, Q.R. — A short circuit in an illuminated advertisement was the cause of a fire at the Cancun International Airport Sunday.
Passengers and workers at the airport were evacuated to another area Sunday morning when a lit restaurant sign caught fire and filled a section of Terminal 3 with heavy smoke.
Police and firemen arrived around 10:30 a.m. to deal with the flames while people were escorted to another area. The flames and thick smoke created a moment of panic, but was quickly under control by emergency personnel.
Members of the federal police confirmed that the incident occurred in the restaurant area and that there were no injuries, however there were reports of a few departure delays.