Cancun, Q.R. — Authorities in Cancun have said that at least 13 homicides from the past six months have been resolved. Their resolution came after the arrests of 11 cartel members from a Cancun safe house the week before.
The Quintana Roo State Attorney General’s Office says after the arrests of the 10 men and one woman from SM 107 of Cancun, they have been able to solve 13 murders. All of those murders have taken place within the last six months and in the city of Cancun.
The agency detailed that arrests of the 11 Jalisco Nueva Generación Cartel members took place March 18 in a takedown operation after a two-month investigation. The same day of the arrests, authorities had already begun to locate bodies in clandestine graves near the safehouse site.
The FGE reported that with the information from the cartel members and continued investigations using the city’s C5 technology, “it was possible to identify the criminal pattern of a criminal group, for which timetables and a search perimeter were established.”
The location of the bodies were made after testimonies from several of the arrested cartel members. Within the first 24 hours of their arrests, the bodies of five people were found. Eight more bodies have since been located.
The cartel members said their role in Cancun is to locate people related to drug dealing activities and kidnap them to obtain information on other area drug dealers.
During their arrests, three men were located inside the safehouse being held against their will. Upon their discovery, authorities said that all three suffered physical injuries, one of whom, had an amputate finger. All three were treated in Cancun hospital.