Press "Enter" to skip to content

External fireworks starts blaze after landing inside Oaxaca hotel

Oaxaca, Mexico — A hotel fire in the Historic Center of Oaxaca caused panic Friday after it began to spread fast. Hotel staff and responding authorities were finally able to put out the flames at Casa Antigua on 5 de May Street.

Preliminary reports say the fire began at 11:50 a.m. Friday inside the hotel on the main floor of an open air area. Numerous tables and chairs were burned and concrete walls were heavily charred in the incident.

The hotel’s open air eating area was completely destroyed by the fire

Hotel staff and guests were evacuated from Casa Antigua as flames grew and firemen worked to put them out. The fire has been reportedly caused by fireworks used in a calenda celebration outside the hotel. One of the lit rockets fell into an open space of the hotel, igniting the inside.