Playa del Carmen, Q.R. – An electrical overload is being blamed for a fire that burned a storage room in the bottom of a Playa del Carmen hotel.
Fire services were called to the boutique Hotel Cacao at around 10:00 p.m. Tuesday night when roars of thunder-like sounds were heard coming from the basement. The hotel, which is located on Fifth Avenue and 30th Street, was tended to by the local fire department who arrived to find a large storage area consumed by flames.
Jesus Puc Pat, coordinator of Civil Protection, said the fire seemed to start from an electrical short circuit in an overloaded outlet. The fire was quick to consume the computer equipment and furniture stored inside the room.
Although the hotel is closed, the hotel itself did not sustain any major damage. Civil Protection has temporarily closed Cacao while they continue with their investigation.
While Civil Protection continuously performs routien checks on businesses, Puc Pat says this is the third avoidable fire in less than a month in the area.