Last updated on March 15, 2016
Tulum, Q.R. – A hotel and several nearby buildings were turned to ash over the weekend when a short circuit started a fire that quickly spread.
The fire, which was sparked by a short circuit in a rooftop palapa, started at La Zebra hotel in the community’s Hotel Zone. Wind gusts fanned the flames as locals and firefighters scrambled to extinguish the fire that quickly spread to several other buildings. Fire and Civil Protection, paramedics from the Red Cross as well as officials from the Traffic and Municipal Police rushed to the scene.
Nearly 200 people, including tourists and employees, were evacuated from the area as smoke filled the air. After three hours of fighting flames, numerous buildings were either destroyed or damaged including guest palapas, a private cabin and La Zebra restaurant.
Other affected hotels include Alaya Hotel and Playa Canek, both of which sustained only minor damage thanks to the efforts of local fire fighters. Official Municipal Police records show Alaya Hotel lost four palapas but the rest of the hotel was saved.
Economic losses between the three establishments have been pegged in the millions (of pesos).