Last week’s claims that famed golfer, Tiger Woods, was banned for one month following a failed drug test have been retracted.
Former PGA Tour player, Dan Olsen, shared the hearsay news last Friday on an interview with a Michigan sports radio talk show, The Game.
Olsen claimed that, “I’ve heard that he’s on a month(-long) suspension … it’s kind of a strong witness. It’s a credible person who is telling me this.”
The former golfer, whose last tour start was in 2011, clarified his news that Woods banning was not testosterone but “something else,” and went on to say that Woods’ disgrace would eventually surpass that of Lance Armstrong.
In a reference to the 2009 Woods sex scandal, Olsen said, “They’re not even going to remember the women,” before he continued on with allegations that Woods used an untested and illegal Nike golf ball to gain an advantage earlier in his career.
In a statement to Golf News Net, PGA Tour executive vice president Ty Votaw and Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, responded to Olsen’s comments: “These claims are absolutely, unequivocally and completely false. They are unsourced, unverified and completely ridiculous. The PGA Tour has confirmed that there is no truth to these claims.
There is no truth whatsoever to these claims. We categorically deny these allegations.”
Days after his interview Olsen issued an online retraction. “I retract the entire interview,” Olsen said in a statement. “My comments were ill-advised. I want to apologize to Nike, the PGA Tour, Phil Mickelson, Tiger Woods and Tim Finchem.”