Last updated on February 6, 2021
Chetumal, Q.R. — Federal health officials proceeded to close a Chetumal restaurant after they were reported for serving contaminated food. The closure of the restaurant took place Monday after at least 15 people fell ill from eating at the seafood establishment.
Federal officials from SESA (Servicios Estatales de Salud) and the Comisión Federal de Protección contra Riesgos Sanitarios (Cofepris) closed the place after a chain of hospitalizations due to the consumption of contaminated food. The coordinator of Cofepris for the southern region of Quintana Roo, Óscar Barradas, reported that the source that caused the illness in people is still being traced, however, all who fell ill ate at this restaurant.
“We are taking samples of cooked and raw food as well as water to send to laboratories and avoid any major health risk,” he said adding that “the laboratory results will be ready this week.”
The inquiry came after more than a dozen people visited hospitals last week with food poisoning symptoms. So far, Cofepris has received two formal complaints from people who tested positive for poisoning due to the consumption of contaminated food.
He clarified that although there are social media rumors about two people dying, he has no knowledge or information about any such deaths.