Press "Enter" to skip to content

Candle left burning on celebratory alter cause of Playa del Carmen house fire

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — A candle left burning all night is the said cause of a fire in a Playa del Carmen home. On Tuesday morning, patrolling police noticed smoke coming from front windows of a home on 18th Street.

Neighbors had just began to gather outside the home of the fire at 6:15 a.m. when firemen were sent to the scene. Personnel from Civil Protection were also part of the emergency team who arrived and interviewed the homeowner.

Sixty-year-old Mario N reported leaving a candle lite all night for Dia de los Muertos celebration, which melted down and ignited surrounding material. He said it was the smell of smoke that woke him. He was alone in the house and managed to get out before flames spread. Injuries were not reported.

Loading...