Cancun, Q.R. — Inspectors from the Directorate of Civil Protection closed a public beach in Cancun Thursday after public reports of a sewage leak.
As a precautionary measure, inspectors closed Playa Langosta to the public Thursday while they verified the report of a sewage leak spilling into the sea. Their inspection revealed that a septic tank had been perforated by machinery from a hotel construction project next door, and that the leak had been contained by a dam.
Javier Francisco Toledo Alvarado, coordinator of the Federal Commission for the Protection of Health Risks in the northern zone, said that they had verified a citizen’s complaint and, seeing that there was damage to a septic tank, precautionary measures were taken to protect the health of those who use the beach.Photo: Directorate of Civil Protection
“We immediately ask that the samples be taken, so as not to prolong this and affect the destination,” said the official, who added that they are still trying to determine the responsibility of the construction company in what happened.
Luis Antonio Lomelín Diaque, director of Civil Protection said, “The company explained to us that it is not sewage, that what they are doing is a study of the subsoil for the construction of the hotel that is going to be built here,” he said adding that when the machinery hit 30 meters, they hit a septic tank.