Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cancun police locate 52 kidnapped Central Americans bound for the US

Cancun, Q.R. — More than 50 people have been rescued from an illegal safe house in the city of Cancun by police after they received an anonymous tip. The Attorney General of the state says on Friday, 52 South Americans, who were bound for the US, were rescued after being held against their will.

The rescue efforts derived from an anonymous complaint received on the institution’s website related to the illegal deprivation of liberty of people. Agents of the Specialized Anti-kidnapping Office implemented a police operation and deployment in a building located in Region 227 of Cancun where “they located 52 migrants, including 8 minors, who had been held against their will for a week or more.”

A Cancun house where 52 people were held in four rooms

The FGE said that once inside, they learned that the victims were Central American and that they were locked in four rooms in unsanitary conditions. During the rescue, seven people were taken into police custody for “apparently taking the foreigners who were destined for the United States of America.”

The house remains under guard as police investigate

Three vehicles were also seized from the home. The vehicles were used by the detainees to guard the movements outside the house. They say that the property has since been guarded so that, in due course, additional evidence can be collected. Officers from the National Migration Institute (INM) have been notified.

Loading...